Monday, April 7, 2008

Havent looked

I check my session results and that is all. Have yet to look at my totals for the month. i do glance at number of hands played in game notes as well as hours played in sessions. 16 hours so far this month and 5420 hands. Feel my game is growing every session and my eyes are starting to really open up to just how focused and deep thinking a high stakes winner needs to be. Too often I find myself resorting back to my hand strength and not even thinking through my opponents range. The truth of the matter is that should be my 1st thought always. Here are some hands where I dont think. Also one where I do.

Villain is 20/17/4 winning regular. When he raises my cbet we have to stop and put him on a range. It seems like a very marginal spot and as weak as it seems this may be a fold. Curious to see what other do on the flop.

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($791.15)
Hero ($458.80)
CO ($884.90)
BTN ($1313.55)
SB ($465.35)
BB ($817.20)

Pre-flop: ($6, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1

1 fold, Hero raises to $16, 1 fold, BTN calls $16, 2 folds

Flop: ($38, 2 players)
Hero bets $28, BTN raises to $99, $71 to Hero ($414.8)?



Villain is 38/23/1.6 with a flop AF of 5. Again another spot where I think my hand doesnt fair extremely well vs his range. What is our best line vs his range?

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($97.00)
UTG+1 ($195.90)
Hero ($214.20)
BTN ($188.50)
SB ($200.00)
BB ($298.80)

Pre-flop: ($3, 6 players) Hero is CO

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $2, Hero raises to $9, BTN calls $9, 2 folds, UTG+1 folds

Flop: ($23, 2 players)
Hero bets $16, BTN raises to $38, $22 to Hero ($189.2)?



Villain is 61/11/5.5, he tended to over bet if weakness was present. I decide to check back my two pair on the flop to induce. When he fires the turn I again decide to extract max value I will flat allowing him to spew on the river. Maybe I should have min raised the river?

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($895.40)
Hero ($960.60)
CO ($369.80)
BTN ($517.30)
SB ($524.70)
BB ($781.90)

Pre-flop: ($6, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1

1 fold, Hero raises to $16, 2 folds, SB calls $14, 1 fold

Flop: ($36, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($36, 2 players)
SB bets $40, Hero calls $40

River: ($116, 2 players)
SB bets $236, Hero goes all-in $904.6, SB folds

Final Pot: $588

Hero wins $1253.1 ( won +$292.5 )
SB lost -$292.00

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hand 1: I tend to fold here. It is kinda weak, but I think more often than not, you are not in good shape. If the board had a flush draw as well as being J107, I would reraise and try to get in, because it dramatically changes his range.

Hand 2: I like a fold here as well. These are the spots that are giving me fits. If you call here, what do you on the turn? This is not a hand I want to play for stacks, which could easily be the case against such an aggressive opponent, who will most likely fire the turn.

Hand 3: I like the shove, because you said that he overbets when he senses weakness. He may put you on the bluff. He is also not the type of player I would expect to 3-bet AK, AQ, or AJ, so I think he would have trouble laying those hands down here.

whitewash said...

In the first hand, I like calling his c-bet and folding to a turn bet (this is assuming no history). Our hand is quite indicitive of strength once we call his checkraise on a flop texture like that. For him to bet the turn in this spot is quite strong. (Again, I am assuming no history.)

Malfaire said...

Hand 1: Jesus, I hate these spots. I'd generally want to call and evaluate a turn in this spot, but I don't have a plan and the stacks are awkward. If we do call, it's $236 on the turn with $343 effective behind, so any bet he makes is committing him. I'm weighing his range more to JT/77/KQ/air versus a flopped straight/AJ. Not sure if that means folding is best...it just seems so goddamn weak.

Hand 2: I'd flat, then c/c safe turn, c/f big river bet.

Hand 3: I guess this is fine given your read and the texture of the board -- I'd still prob autobet it w/o thought (bad). If the board texture changes on the turn, then I'm raising. As it fell, calling here makes sense. I might be raising, though, to build a pot. On the river, shoving is obligatory. Love the fact that he overbet majorly -- it looks like you have KK/QQ and got stubborn up to his bet. I like the shove -- your line doesn't make too much sense (to him) and he might look you up light (A9-AJ).