Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My thinking on the game of poker


Poker by street
To really get in depth on the game of poker you have to start to think about your action on every street and why you take it. I don’t think many consider pre-flop to be a street but is the driveway leading to the streets. This is where you decide what car you will take out of the garage and drive down the street. Certain vehicles will serve you better on certain days. OK enough with the metaphorical thinking.
Pre-flop
Pre-flop: This is a loose guideline to pre-flop play. The biggest thing to consider pre-flop is your position and next your hand strength. The hands I outline are strictly for being 1st in as well as isolating weak limpers. Your 3 betting range whether it be 3 betting or calling a 3bet will be drastically different. All discussions from here on out pertain to 6-max strategy. I don’t feel a lot needs to be said about pre-flop strategy but I will touch upon the most important. Position is number one. Everyone knows this yet few utilize it to its fullest potential.
UTG and UTG+1: In order to get action and loosen up your image from these two spots opening all PP’s is quite effective. It is nice to mix in a random SC as well but not entirely necessary. Yet I think I rather raise 87s here then QJs because it is easier to play post flop OOP. As for non pairs Ajo+ and Kqs+ work well for me. If my table is tight and my image is well I will expand upon this range.
CO: This is when my range begins to open up as I will more times then not end up with position post flop and will be able to play my hand profitably against my opponent. Our range is all of the UTG & UTG+1 range plus SC down to 65 and off suit connectors down to 89. Also A9o+ and Kto+. This is where we can begin to utilize HUD number as well. If the BTN and blinds are tight we can open our range up more.
BTN: This is the whore of position. She spreads her legs for any two cards. Due to your position sometimes your cards are irrelevant. This is where good hand reading skills and shear aggression will win you the pot 9 times out of 10. You can raise a lot of suited junk here as well as any Ace as long as the blinds arent 3 betting you often.

3 betting: This is by no means the know all end all on 3 betting but rather some observations of my own. If you look at the range of hands I just said we should be raising from the CO and BTN position it is obvious that the majority of them cannot withstand a raise. Therefore I think 3 betting from the blinds is something that isn’t being done enough by the average player, including myself. The toughest thing about 3 betting from the blinds is it goes against the idea of position. This is again a spot where we can use are HUD numbers. If the PFR has a high attempt to steal which I believe is 20+ then we should be 3 betting lighter from the blinds. The majority of the time we should take the pot down pre-flop. Also if called we can C-bet and show a profit as well but I do believe our c-betting frequency should decrease in 3 bet pots when OOP.
When 3 betting IP I think we can stick to a pretty tight range depending upon our villains numbers. If villain looks tight then we shouldn’t be 3 betting light. If villain is loose then we should. Also you should be more apt to 3 bet a CO raiser light then a UTG or UTG+1 raiser due to the ranges we have discussed. With hands that flop well I tend to call IP against tight players rather then raise and open the door up for them to blow me off my hand. Calling IP also allows you to make moves post flop. Again HUD should show you villains c-bet number and if it 70+ we know that this villain is betting with air here often enough that a float or raise will show profit.

No comments: