Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Solid poker.

I watched two videos in the last day and both talked about playing solid ABC poker. I think that there is a lot to be said about it too. If I look at my big losing sessions alot of the big pots that I lose are do to me getting fancy or bluffing for no real reason. Last Friday I dumped a BI for no reason with ATo with A high. Yesterday I watched a CR member lose 2BI with J7s with no pair against a mega fish. Moving up from the low stakes to the 200s I dont think you need to do to much. Just sticking to solid ABC poker will be very profitable. Loosening up IP will allow you to gain a fair amount of post flop play aswell. Also it will have an illusionary effect which will allow your bigger hands to get action do to your opponents viewing you as a loose maniac. Most important is taking a badbeat in stride and not allowing it to have any effect on your style of play. This is the biggest key to success. Yesterday I played a 1.5 hour session where nothing went right. I had several hands get sucked out on or I ouldnt hit a flop etc,etc. Finally a hand occured that just made me mad and I decided then and there to take a break and come back fresh in a half hour. Know your tilt trigger and when it is pulled pull the plug on your computer. Also review the session and confirm you are playing good poker. Post some hands as well for confirmation. Regroup and attack. Here are some hands from yesterday. Would this tilt you?

Hand 1: Villain was a donk who just lost a big pot and I knew he could be tilting I snap called his shove.

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com
Hero ($229.35)SB ($129.50)BB ($45.85)UTG ($345.25)MP ($126.05)CO ($58.70)
Preflop: Hero is Button with Ad, Qc. UTG raises to $10, 1 fold, CO calls $10, Hero raises to $44, 2 folds, UTG folds, CO raises to $58.7 (All-In), Hero calls $14.70.
Flop: ($130.40) 9c, 5h, Qd (2 players, 1 all-in)
Turn: ($130.40) 6c (2 players, 1 all-in)
River: ($130.40) Jd (2 players, 1 all-in)
Final Pot: $130.40
Results below: Hero has Ad Qc (one pair, queens). CO has Qh 9h (two pair, queens and nines). Outcome: CO wins $130.40.

Hand 2: This guy was a mega donk too and I actually put him on a FD on the turn which is why I bet. I hate my bet size though. Then I raise the river? Pretty ugly. This could tilt me simply do to how poor I played it.

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com
Hero ($199.55)SB ($89.55)BB ($80)UTG ($439.67)MP ($143.95)CO ($570.10)
Preflop: Hero is Button with Kc, 9c. 3 folds, Hero raises to $8, 1 fold, BB calls $6.
Flop: ($17) 3d, As, 5d (2 players)BB bets $2, Hero raises to $12, BB calls $10.
Turn: ($41) 9s (2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $16, BB calls $16.
River: ($73) 9d (2 players)BB bets $2, Hero raises to $28, BB calls $26.
Final Pot: $129
Results below: Hero has Kc 9c (three of a kind, nines). BB has Qd Td (flush, queen high). Outcome: BB wins $129.

Hand 3: This guy was a super NIT and I dont know how much I like my play here either. It can get under your skin though when you keep getting AK and cant do shit with it.

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com
Button ($480.35)SB ($390.35)BB ($329.10)UTG ($167.30)Hero ($200.80)CO ($269.04)
Preflop: Hero is MP with Ac, Ks. 1 fold, Hero raises to $8, 1 fold, Button calls $8, 2 folds.
Flop: ($19) 5s, Td, 7h (2 players)Hero bets $14, Button calls $14.
Turn: ($47) 9h (2 players)Hero bets $32, Button raises to $396, Hero folds.
Final Pot: $475
Results below: No showdown. Button wins $475.

Hand 4: The old BB special. Not much I can do hear.

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com
Button ($234)SB ($214.85)Hero ($200.65)UTG ($80)MP ($235.05)CO ($507.35)
Preflop: Hero is BB with 6s, Qs. 3 folds, Button calls $2, SB completes, Hero checks.
Flop: ($6) 8s, 2s, 4h (3 players)SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.
Turn: ($6) 3c (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets $4, Button calls $4, SB folds.
River: ($14) Js (2 players)Hero bets $8, Button raises to $21, Hero calls $13.
Final Pot: $56
Results below: Button has Ks 3s (flush, king high). Hero has 6s Qs (flush, queen high). Outcome: Button wins $56.

Then this hand just made me sick. Another donk who I am looking to take to value town. I flop so perfect and know this guy has and A and is going to pay me off after he calls the flop. I bet nice and big on the turn and am planning to fire a 3rd barrel. Nice river!

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com
Hero ($218.75)SB ($45.25)BB ($201.80)UTG ($197)MP ($229.90)
Preflop: Hero is Button with 8s, Ks. 2 folds, Hero raises to $8, SB calls $7, BB calls $6.
Flop: ($24) Kh, Ac, 8d (3 players)SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $12, SB folds, BB calls $12.
Turn: ($48) 4s (2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $28, BB calls $28.
River: ($104) 4h (2 players)BB checks, Hero checks.
Final Pot: $104
Results below: Hero has 8s Ks (two pair, kings and eights). BB has Ad Td (two pair, aces and fours). Outcome: BB wins $104.

After this I was done. I played solid poker up to this point for the most part. I knew that my mind wasnt right after this and I had to quit. I was down 2BIs. Not horrible considering how bad I ran. I won one pot over 15BB. I came back and got coolered right out of the gate but stayed focused and put in a winning session. Again there is alot to be said about solid ABC poker combined with mental toughness. With those two I believe the sky is the limit.

3 comments:

Malfaire said...

lol @ J7s. it's the nuts.

Malfaire said...

Hand 2: I'd typically have raised the river too with that lead. I feel that his leads are showing a draw -- when he leads the river small, I believe he has a hand like A4 that he wanted to show down cheaply. Raise / fold the river to extract value from an ace, I say.

Hand 4: Crappy outcome, I'd lead that flop, though.

Malfaire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.