Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How not to win at poker.

I am so fucking pissed at myself right now. I had a test this morning and was just feeling meh when I got home. I wasnt going to play any poker till I did some work. Then I decide to check the tables. What do you know I see a huge fish with a huge stack. WHO FUCKING CARES! Seriously if you arent in the right mind frame to play dont. I wasnt ready to play poker. I shouldnt even be in front of my computer. Anyways of course I take the seat and start grinding. What do you know cooler fucking city. I played this hand tits too.

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (4 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button ($870.30)
SB ($420.50)
BB ($302.30)
Hero ($438)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7c, 7s.
Hero raises to $16, Button calls $16, SB calls $14, 1 fold.

Flop: ($52) Ac, 7h, As (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $36, Button folds, SB raises to $70, Hero calls $36.

Turn: ($194) Qs (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($194) 6h (2 players)
SB bets $140, Hero raises to $350 (All-In), SB calls $192.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $876.50

Results below:
SB has Ad Qd (full house, aces full of queens).
Hero has 7c 7s (full house, sevens full of aces).
Outcome: SB wins $859. Hero wins $17.50.


What happens next? The fish leaves. So now I am stuckl a BI kinda steamed and without fish. What should I do? Quit. Seriously though I wasnt playing bad. I decide to stay and play and then these two spots happen.


I dont iknow how i feel about this hand. Villain was 33/18 with a super high att to steal. When he flats OOP I guess I could simply shut down and hope to show it down cheap putting him on AQs+ and JJ+. But I am not so sure of that. This hand may have been spewy.
Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (4 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero ($636.03)
SB ($988)
BB ($294)
UTG ($253.68)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Ts, Th.
UTG raises to $16, Hero raises to $48, 2 folds, UTG calls $32.

Flop: ($102) 6d, 3s, 5h (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $72, UTG raises to $172, Hero raises to $244, UTG calls $33.68 (All-In).

Turn: ($551.68) 9s (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($551.68) Kh (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $551.68

Results below:
Hero has Ts Th (one pair, tens).
UTG has Ad As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins $513.36. Hero wins $38.32.

Then this hand. Can I play this any different? i was readless against this villain. I guess I am hoping for AQ or a split at best. Honestly though TPTK in a 3bet pot. GG.

Absolute Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (5 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button ($510.96)
Hero ($447.35)
BB ($974)
UTG ($455.10)
MP ($282)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Ad, Kc. UTG posts a blind of $4.
UTG (poster) raises to $16, 2 folds, Hero raises to $52, 1 fold, UTG calls $36.

Flop: ($108) Jh, 7d, Ah (2 players)
Hero bets $72, UTG raises to $180, Hero raises to $395.35 (All-In), UTG calls $215.35.

Turn: ($898.70) 2d (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($898.70) Kh (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $898.70

Results below:
Hero has Ad Kc (two pair, aces and kings).
UTG has Jc Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: UTG wins $898.70.


To sum it up I am so fucking pissed at myself. I should never have ever sat. I pride myself on discipline. This was a display of a lack of discipline and it resulted in me dropping 3BIs. Dont sit dont lose. Quit when the fish quits lose less. I think never sitting is best. For me I play best when I plan to play. This involves a cup of tea or coffeee some datamining and some mental preparation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Noel, I did not ask you to join the challenge before (see my blog post title "Challenge") because I was not sure if you could get in 5k hands the rest of this month. Stupid assumption, so I am asking now. We have 6 people in, including myself, appleseed, malfaire, and the rest of UF2B. It'd be awesome if you can join this, if not, totally understand. Anyways, if you want to join it and see more details, just go check outt hat blog post and put a comment in, saying you want to join the challenge! Hope to see your comment!

Malfaire said...

Honestly, I think all 3 of those hands are coolers. You're a bit correct in beating yourself up for playing after your fish leaves, but these hands would have happened regardless (they always do). Anyway, I don't pretend to know $400NL well yet, but is shoving over with the AK a winning play (folding out most everything you beat except for AQ)? I'm not sure. The money's going in regardless, though.

What would have been a true travesty if you would have continued playing and tilted off money. So yes, you had a poor result, but the hands are coolers. Lesson learned and onto the next session, my friend.

Ian Little said...

One of the hard facts about this game is how difficult the mental side of it is. As Mark said, you're right to beat yourself up a little, b/c you know that's where the motivation to progress comes from. Use this experience for fuel and get back on the racing track, but be the player you want to be (smart, disciplined, successful).