Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Losing hope!!!!!

Seriously poker has become so discouraging. Maybe the simple truth is I dont have what it takes mentally to deal with the ups and downs of this game. During the sickest break-even stretch ever I feel like I have slowly become very resentful towards the game. I have begun to doubt the skill element and feel like luck plays a role. Obviously we all know this not to be the case but the truth is there is some hidden random luck. Take this hand for instance.

$1/$2 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
Hero (UTG) ($238.20)
UTG+1 ($183.10)
CO ($303.64)
BTN ($206.95)
SB ($110.31)
BB ($396.65)

Pre-flop: ($3, 6 players) Hero is UTG

Hero raises to $8, 2 folds, BTN calls $8, SB calls $7, 1 fold

Flop: ($26, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($26, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $16, BTN calls $16, SB folds

River: ($58, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $38, Hero raises to $214.20, BTN calls $144.95

Final Pot: $455.15
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

BTN wins $420.40 ( won +$213.45 )
Hero wins $31.25 ( lost -$206.95 )
SB lost -$8.00


Did I play it optimally I dont know but is there anyway I dont go broke? I like villains play alot but fuck me he only gets my monies when it comes QQ,AA,QA and nothing more. Then you have all the sweet flips and coolers which i continue to come out on the ugly side. I turned 3 bdfd today in AI situations for stacks and bricked all 3. Twice I had AK vs AK the third time was AK vs KK. Obviously win these and I am not making this post but that is stupid. There has to be more then coolers and bad luck that is taking its toll. TBH my biggest hurdle has been playing vs thinking players. I have been trying harder and harder to shy away from emoption and simply play their range and mine.


I apologize for the rant but it was something I had to do. I have been so frustrated today by my sessions. Twice I feel like I am playing great poker only to lose 2 stacks at the end in nearly unavoidable spots. Tonight it was QQ vs AK and set vs set. Yeah poker. Looks like I might be joining the working world in 09.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Noel, do not lose hope. You are without question a solid player. Long breakeven stretches and swings occur to even the best players and you know this. We have two options, we can get frustrated and lose hope and become bitter about the game. Or we can focus on improving and focus al of energy and efforts and trying to become the best player we can be. Now I am far from perfect in this sense, we both know that, so I am certainly not taking a "holier than thou" stance here. I am just saying what you already know because sometimes it is needed and sometimes it is nice to hear it from someone else. Buckle down and keep improving and remember to enjoy the finer points of life off the virtual felt, the results will come in time. You are too good of a player not to succeed. Like I said, this is an area where I need much improvement in my game, but I know you are better at it than me and will get through this. Besides, cheer up! Your Yankees just got Sabathia!

Unknown said...

I finally got a chance to look at the hand. Why did you check the river? I mean, I think a ton of pocket pairs will call a bet, but check it back if you check. Thoughts?